The Junior Campus bridges the gap between the small personal world of elementary
school and the larger, more complex world of the senior school. The Junior
Campus includes secondary I and II, about 490 students this year. Teachers, in
each of the curriculum areas, work together to ensure that cross-disciplinary
connections are made as often as possible. Teachers of the junior level are
particularly sensitive to the rapid social, emotional, intellectual, physical
development of their students.
The Senior Campus is comprised of secondary III, IV and V. The school recognizes
that students in the Senior Campus are significant participants in their own
educational process. While students may still require considerable direction and
guidance, they need some freedom to make personal decisions, to freely voice
specific concerns, and to feel comfortable talking with adults about mature
Teachers in Senior Campus recognize that they should play a less didactic role
and must allow their students the opportunity to take greater responsibility for
their own work. This year, the Senior Campus houses approximately 700 secondary
students, from secondary III to V, and has a long tradition of academic
excellence and constructive discipline. As a result our students do very well
and approximately 90% of our graduates go on to further studies at Cegeps
(college) and vocational schools.
Yesterday, Today, and
In the early 1800's, attracted
by the gently rolling farmland just beyond the western tip of the island of
Montreal, immigrant families arrived from the English county of Cumberland to
settle along the Lake of Two Mountains, which forms part of the Ottawa River.
Here they put down roots and, as a result, many local families can trace their
heritage back almost two centuries. Today, it is still evident that the populace
of the town has endeavored to maintain its original ambience as a small country
village. Tree-lined Main Road hugs the shoreline of the Lake of Two Mountains
and you will pass rose covered arbors, cottages with fanciful names and gardens
lovingly tended. Numerous schools have been built in this area, starting in 1805
with a log cabin. Hudson High School, now Westwood Senior High School, is a
school with the longest history. It was found on Cote St. Charles Road which
links Main Road to the Trans-Canada Highway. The decision to build a school on
this spot was taken in 1918, construction began in 1919, and the school opened
officially on February, 1920. Set on open grounds, at a slight distance from the
road, the square red-brick school was a true country school - at one point it
was necessary to erect a fence to prevent cattle from meandering in the yard.
Due to a population which has continued to rise over the years, major
renovations and additions were necessitated in 1939, 1948-49, 1961-62 and in
On July 1, 2003, Hudson High School became Westwood Senior High School,
comprising grades 9, 10, and 11 and Vaudreuil County High School, located in St.
Lazare, became Westwood Junior High School with grades 7 and 8. These two
campuses, now one school serve the Hudson, St. Lazare areas and another 24
surrounding communities, up to the Ontario border.
Westwood High School, with its
two campuses, is one of eleven secondary schools operated by the
Lester B. Pearson School Board,
and is 24 kilometers west of Montreal Island.